Review: Brooke Candy - 'Opulence' EP
Brooke Candy has been known for her overtly-sexual lyrics and show-stopping visuals in her un-signed years, and she ain't changing a bit of her essence now that she’s part of a major label like RCA Records. Both parties announced the deal in February this year, and only three months later Brooke’s already released her first project with the Sony label. The 5-song EP ‘Opulence’ hit iTunes on May 6th. Three of the five songs are co-written and co-produced by label-mate Sia. And if you thought the Australian composer could only write family-safe songs such as 'Diamonds', 'Perfume' or 'Cannonball', then you are in for a huge shock when you hear what she wrote for Brooke Candy. Your jaw is going to plummet to the floor, we can guarantee that.
Brooke’s ‘Opulence’ is filled with such high-definition synth-pop beats that listening to the EP with headphones on is simply a MUST.
The opening song, title track and lead single ‘Opulence’ sees Brooke Candy spitting lyrics about the attitude a girl should have once she's got a bank account full of millions and the bling-blings to provoke envy in any rival. She's worked hard for her cash, and bragging about her opulence and level of superiority is only right…right? This particular track is so well-produced and written, it's got swag, and the beat is just so menacing-good. It’s like Sia and Brooke Candy knew ‘Opulence’ was destined to be the first single from the beginning, and they worked extra hard in its creation.
Feeling like going to
Brooke isn’t leaving her man alone yet. Track #3 on the EP will have Brooke take the sexual pleasure levels to the roof. She’s used her mouth, and now she's going to put her body to use. 'Bed Squeak', featuring actual bed squeak sounds, sees our new favourite raptress commanding her man to “lose all your inhibitions, get stripping and make the bed squeak!”. We’re actually afraid of how sex with Brooke would be. Too hardcore?
After getting what she wanted from her man in bed, Brooke is ready to party. ‘Feel Yourself (Alcohol)’ is all about tequila shots, and having fun with everybody's favorite friend, the booze. Although Brooke warns, ‘If I have another shot, I may have a heart attack’. Remember, your health is always first! ‘Feel Yourself (Alcohol)’ has a lot of bubbly, beep-y synths in its production, and a Middle East-like intro.
The last track on the album is similar to the first. ‘Opulence’ and ‘Godzillionaire' are all about the cash. Although, Brooke also takes her time in ‘Godzillionaire’ to remind us that she’s a ‘ratchet bitch’ too (oops! she said it, though). “They call me godzillionaire / Got my head in the clouds / Got my money in the air”. If you’re looking for a birthday present for Brooke, you know you can’t get it wrong with big fat cheque.
And that’s ‘Opulence’ EP! Five songs featuring hard-hitting synths, fierce and risqué lyrics, and a swagger by Brooke that can’t be duplicated. She’s making us excited about female rappers again. There just have to be more options than Nicki or Iggy!
- Travis Scott’s “SICKO MODE” Music Video, Co-Starring Drake, Is Here! Watch Now!
- James Arthur’s New Ballad “Empty Space” Is One Of The Best of 2018: Listen Here!
- Here’s Luis Fonsi’s Single For The Winter/Fall Period, “Imposible” Featuring Ozuna: Listen Now!
- Cher Lloyd’s Comeback Single “None Of My Business” Is A Chill Bop With Lots Of Attitude: Listen Here!
- Britney Spears’ “Domination” Las Vegas Residency Has Been Announced But The Announcement Was Awkward As Hell: Watch
- Dua Lipa & BLACKPINK’s “Kiss And Make Up” Is Exactly The Banger We Deserved: Listen Here!
- Post Malone & Swae Lee Turn Into Pop Singers For ‘Spiderman’ Song “Sunflower”: Listen Here!
- Tove Lo's "Blue Lips" Short Film Has Finally Premiered: Watch Now!
- New Song Premiere: Zayn - "Fingers"
- Exclusive Song Premiere: Marisa Maino - “Ever Young”
- Troye Sivan’s Ballad “Revelation” Is Too Beautiful & Perfect: Song Premiere
- Zara Larsson’s New Single “Ruin My Life” Has Some ‘Controversial’ Lyrics: Listen Here!
- Mariah Carey’s New Song “The Distance” Is About Winning In Love Despite Haters: Listen Now!