Exclusive Interview: Wengie Talks Being A #1 Trend On YouTube With Her New Holiday Song “Ugly Sweater Christmas”, Wish Of Recording With Marshmello Or Zedd & Her Future!
She scored a #1 trending video on YouTube USA last weekend and she has over 12 million subscribers on YouTube, of course I'm talking about Chinese-Australian YouTuber and singer Wengie. Over the years bubbly Wengie has gathered an incredible following on the Google-owned video-sharing platform sharing tips about beauty, fashion and DIYs (DoIt Yourself). But Wengie had another passion; music. This digital family she created and the daily love she received propelled Wengie’s recent decision to dive into the music world. And I'm sure she is now glad she took this bold decision. The music videos for the few songs she has released so far have MILLIONS of views on YouTube ("Cake" has 7.5 million views, "Deja Vu" has 4.8 million views) - meaning her fans have approved this music career of hers. And knowing they want more, Wengie released her first holiday song last weekend - because it's that time of the year already. Titled “Ugly Christmas Sweater”, Wengie’s song is fun, joyful and adorable. And of course we have already an accompanying visual. This is the video that rocketed to number 1 on the trending section of YouTube in the U.S. Americans love Wengie that much!
Yass we did it omg!! pic.twitter.com/XjJl0oEBhy— Wengie ???? (@wengie) 18 de noviembre de 2018
So, what's next for Wengie? Discover this and things about her career as YouTuber and singer, “Ugly Christmas Sweater”, what her dream collaboration or favorite songs of the moment are, among other things in the exclusive email Q&A below.
1. Hi Wengie, where are you answering this Q&A from and how has your day been like so far?
I'm currently in bed right now (my fave place ever) and my day has just started here in China.
2. Your new song “Ugly Christmas Sweater” reached #1 on the the Trending section on YouTube USA the weekend it was released, what was you reaction to this?
I didn't really believe it!! I still don't believe it!!! It was insane to see that happen, right now I still don't believe it's really real! Omg it's a dream come true!
3. How did the idea of recording a holiday song come about?
I'd always loved Christmas songs! I used to have this Christmas Carols CD growing up that I'd listen to every single Christmas!! I also sing Christmas songs all year round especially "all I want Christmas issss yoouuuuu" by Mariah Carey, so I thought to myself that I had to make one!
4. Do you have a favorite ugly Christmas sweater you can't wait to wear this Christmas? Describe it for us, we're curious!
Yes!!! I released a set of Ugly Christmas Sweaters especially for this song and you can see them in the actual music video!! My favourite one is the one with my cat Mia on it and it says "Meowy Xmas"!
5. How is a Christmas Eve/Christmas day usually celebrated by Wengie?
Lots and lots of food!! It would be me pretty much eating all day with my family, taking a nap until I can eat again! My favourite thing is also get my partner Max to get guitar out and we sing Christmas songs together!
6. Can fans expect more new music soon? If so, what can you tell us about your upcoming new songs? And, any chance of releasing an EP or album?
Yes!! I'm actually really excited for them! I think the next few songs will all have different vibes and I want to show different sides to my music too! Right now I'm focusing on releasing singles but I am collecting some songs to release an EP later on!!
7. Who is your dream music collaboration, why him or her (or them), and how do you imagine your original song to be/sound like?
I would love to work with Marshmello or Zedd one day as I think they are amazing producers and it would definitely have a fun electronic vibe!
8. What are your Top 5 favorite songs (of other artists) at the moment?
Thank You, Next - Ariana Grande
Breathin' - Ariana Grande
Girl like You - Maroon 5
Yes or yes - Twice
Solo - Jennie (from BLACKPINK)
9. Besides being a singer you are also a popular YouTuber with over 12 million subscribers. Did you ever imagine to have this amount of success on this platform and is it tough to keep the content original and recording new videos every week? Must be an exhausting job sometimes!
I remember my whole life goal was to get to 1 million subscribers and to me that would have been a dream come true! It's so rewarding to be able to have such a close relationship with so many people around the world and be able to share what I'm excited about with them! So although the schedule is pretty exhausting it's also really rewarding! I'm lucky to have a great team around me to support what I do because I definitely couldn't do this all myself! I love my team and my online family so much. They are the reason why I can do what I do.
10. How do you see yourself in 10 years time?
A lot changes in a year in my life right now that I can't even picture next year much less 10 years! However I will always be doing something to inspire and bring smiles to my family around the world! My dream is to ensure people know that they can never dream too big and that they can always make a step towards what they want to do no matter how scary. Prior to this I was so scared to sing in public so if I can do it you can too
- WOW! Miley Cyrus Covers Ariana Grande's "No Tears Left To Cry" on BBC Radio 1: Did She Improve The Original?
- Cardi B's "Carpool Karaoke" Feels Like The Best One Yet: Watch Full Episode Now!
- Alessia Cara Performs MIND-BLOWING Cover of Ariana Grande’s “Breathin’” On BBC Radio 1: Watch
- Will Zayn Be Dropped From RCA? First Week Sales For "Icarus Falls" Look DISMAL!
- Did Netsky & Stargate Rip Off Their New Song “Big Hearts” From K-Pop Girl Group Momoland’s “Fly”? You Be The Judge!
- Camila Cabello Wishes Now Her Debut Solo Album Wasn’t Named “Camila” But…
- Cardi B Doesn’t Want Offset To End Up Like Pete Davidson, Defends Him From Social Media Bullying After Embarrassing Failed Apology Ambush
- Miley Cyrus Delivers POWERFUL Performances Of “Nothing Breaks Like A Heart” & “Happy Xmas ” On ‘SNL’: Watch
- PRETTYMUCH Shake It Like “Jello” In New Music Video, One Member Gets Into A Massive 'Nail' Controversy!