Avril Lavigne Suffers From Lyme Disease: "I Thought I Was Dying"
Avril Lavigne has the tick disease. That’s the “mysterious” health issue she’s been struggling with for the last few months. She finally opened up about it via an exclusive interview with People! Magazine unveiled today with a new shot of the “Girlfriend” singer displayed on the cover.
The Canadian pop star got everyone concerned when she posted a tweet back in the December 2014 asking fans to “pray” for her as she was having serious health issues. Nobody really knew anything, and both Avril and her PR team went silent mode rejecting any interview requests or having zero “real” activity on social media.
Today, April 1, (and believe me when I say this ain’t no April’s Fools Day joke), People Magazine disclosed the cover for the latest issue of the celebrity publication and voila! it’s Avril Lavigne there with a quote that reads “I thought I was dying”.
The Lyme disease
You can read the full People Magazine article here but if you ain’t got no time let me do a quick summary for you.
- Avril was by a tick last Spring that infected her with the bacteria of the Borrelia type.
- Avril started to feel tired, and having headaches, sudden fevers and joint pains.
- It wasn’t until October that doctors diagnosed her with the Lyme disease.
- She immediately started antibiotics treatment.
- She was bedridden for 5 months.
- Avril is now “80% better” but at one point late last year she felt like she was dying (“"I felt like I couldn't breathe, I couldn't talk and I couldn't move,"). Leaving this disease untreated for a long period is really dangerous and this is what I think happened to Avril and why she felt so sick. Unfortunately, the diagnoses of the Lyme disease isn’t the easiest, as it can “look” as many other illnesses. Sometimes everything depends on luck.
I read some time ago about an artist also with this disease and she said that although she can do a normal life once again she’s obliged to take in like 5 pills a day for the rest of her life. Wow, right? This might be what’s in store for Avril too. However, she didn’t mention any of it to People Magazine. It may not be the most comfortable thing to take in so many pills a day, but certainly life is worth the pain.