Earlier this week we had the honor of exclusively premiering Chappell Roan’s brand new music video for her song “Sugar High” (from the “School Nights” EP) and now we’re feeling joyous for posting an interview we did with her just a few days before that video premiere. Just for recapping purposes, you should know that Chappell Roan is a talented young artist hailing from Missouri and now based in New York City who was recently signed by Atlantic Records. Her style of music is indie-pop and she writes the most incredible songs ever. If you don’t believe me, just scroll below and stream the “School Nights” EP. That voice…OMG!
In the exclusive interview you’re about to red, we asked Chappell about her new single “Sugar High”, signing to major label, what’s next for her, her recent tours, her dream collaboration, among other things. This is a good read to get know a little bit more about who may be your next favorite artist of the moment.
1. Hi Chappell! Where are you answering this Q&A from and how’s your day been like thus far?
I am in Syracuse, NY and we just left Stella’s Diner. We’re getting ready to go on a 6 hour drive to Pittsburgh, PA. So far so good!
2. You just unveiled the music video for your song “Sugar High”. First, for those out there who are not familiar with this song yet, how would you describe it story and sound-wise?
It’s a song about the rush of being in love for the first time. You get this feeling of having a sugar high, your heart beats really fast and you feel like bouncing off the walls. I also wanted a 60’s sultry vibe for the song. The main inspiration was “Time of the Season” by The Zombies.
3. Any memorable anecdotes from the music video filming?
I really loved getting into different wardrobe and makeup. Also, the set for the video was really fun because a lot of my friends helped and we all had a blast.
4. How was your process of signing to a major label like Atlantic Records? It must’ve been a joyous moment for you as a singer!
It was a dream come true. I got signed when I had just turned 17 and everything was a whirlwind. At the time, I didn’t know exactly how to process it all, but now I am so grateful I get to do what I truly feel I was born to do.
5. What’s your personal songwriting process like? Any preference on where to write the songs, coming up with the melody first, first the lyrics?
I don’t write that often. I think of it in terms of quality over quantity, so I write a couple songs every few months. I write best when I’m at home in Missouri in my room. I feel the most comfortable and my mind is clear at home. I usually think of a song subject, write the melody on piano, then plug in the words from there.
6. You released last year your debut EP “School Nights”. How long did it take recording all the songs on the EP, what producers helped you, and what is the connecting theme among all 7 songs on “School Nights” for those out there who have yet to check out the EP?
It took a couple years to get everything done on the EP. I worked with a couple different producers on the EP. Andrew Wells did Die Young, Bad For You, Good Hurt, and Meantime. Stelios Phili did Sugar High. I would say the connection that all the songs have is that they all are little puzzle pieces to a bigger story that will be revealed in the album. They also are a great representation to who I am as a person and how I have grown.
7. You have toured with Vance Joy and are currently touring with Declan McKenna. How are you finding these tour experiences with such big artists? And do you remember a specific tour date where the crowd was especially amazing?
Vance and Declan are both so sweet, which makes touring fun and easy. Declan is 19 and I’ve never really worked with someone my age. It’s so nice to have someone who understands exactly what I’m going through in similar points in our lives. Both Declan and Vance have such great crowds. My favorite crowd so far was in Pawtucket, RI. They were so fun and screamed and danced and that always gives me so much energy on stage.
8. We hear that you may be releasing brand new music in the near future… what can you tell us about it?
The song we’re about to release is one of my favorites. It’s different than any other song I’ve written. It really describes how I was feeling at the time.
9. What advice would you give to younger, up-and-coming artists that really want to pursue a career in the industry?
Be genuine and grateful. This is not an easy job, but it is so much fun. You get to meet amazing people and have experiences that you wouldn’t get with any other career. You have to keep pushing through the hard times because one day it will be so worth it. Also, patience and composure is key. It’s hard to be patient, but you have trust the people around you know what they’re doing.
10. Who is your dream collaboration, why him/her and how do you imagine your original song to be like?
I would love to work with The Weeknd. I feel like our song would be slow and dark with vintage and pop styles mixed together.
11. Thank you for your time, Chappell! Any last thing you would like to tell our Direct Lyrics readers?
Thanks so much for interviewing! I’m really excited for the rest of the tour, and I can’t wait for everyone to hear the new music and watch the Sugar High video!
STREAM CHAPPELL'S "SCHOOL NIGHTS" EP
Tinashe Reveals “Joyride” Album Cover, Confirms April 13 Release Date!17 hours ago
Camila Cabello Performs Many Of Her New Songs For The First Time Ever At Lollapalooza Argentina: A Must-Watch!18 hours ago
Watch Iggy Azalea Perform “Savior” With Demi Lovato At NYC Concert: Official Remix Happening?18 hours ago
Listen To Demi Lovato’s Official Updated Version Of Elton John’s “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” Now!19 hours ago
Louisa Channels Christina Aguilera In Vintage Super Bop “Yes”: Stream Now19 hours ago
The Chainsmokers Release Studio Version Of "Everybody Hates Me" & It's Massive: Stream Now!2 days ago
Kygo & Miguel Premiere "Remind Me To Forget" Collaboration: Listen Here!2 days ago
Troye Sivan’s “Love, Simon” Soundtrack Stand-Out “Strawberries & Cigarettes” Is Here: Song Premiere2 days ago
Halsey’s “Alone” Remix With Big Sean & Stefflon Don Premieres: The Original Is Still Better!2 days ago
Jennifer Lopez Graces April 2018 Harper’s Bazaar Cover: See Her Breathtaking, Vertigo-Giving Photoshoot!2 days ago
Becky G Looks Her Hottest In “Mad Love” Music Video: Watch The Premiere!2 days ago
Charlie Puth & Kehlani’s Tension Can Be Cut With A Knife In “Done For Me”: Song Premiere2 days ago
This Video Of Camila Cabello Trolling The Paparazzi At LAX Will Make Your Day!3 days ago
Watch Iggy Azalea Celebrate As She Receives Her Green Card!3 days ago
G-Eazy & Charlie Puth Premiere "Sober" Music Video: Watch3 days ago